Monday, May 6, 2013

The one about distractions


And the list I promised was never delivered. You know why? Distractions. These sneaky culprits can throw you off your path faster than any fear or failure. Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, TV, eating, cleaning... distractions are endless and they provide you only with a false sense of "doing". Nothing of worth comes from distractions. They are time killers, tiny vacuums that suck potential. Now, sometimes distractions can be healty, but when they become greater in frequency than actions, then it's time to shake, shake, shake it off, lift the fog that they create and see them for what they really are.

You know what's the biggest distraction of them all? Perfection. Finding the perfect time, the perfect words, the perfect mood, the perfect talent, etc. This usually leads to putting everything off until tomorrow (if you're lucky), but the reality is nothing will ever be perfect.

One of my favorite newsletters come from Mastin Kipp over at The Daily Love, and he sums it up nicely here (Be warned. There will be many more references to the TDL.)

Personally, my biggest distractors are Pinterest, cleaning, perfectionism, and personal development newsletters. See what just happened there? Yes, personal development newsletters, because even "positive" distractions can have a negative impact. Time and time again I find myself reading my beloved newsletters instead of doing any actual work towards reaching my goals. So now, I have to make that to-do list I promised AND create a specific timeline that will kick distraction ass!

Now, let's do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment