Monday, April 29, 2013

FORGET THE BIG PICTURE

A while ago, I spoke to a friend of mine who lives and works in New York City. Our two hour Skype session was devoted to my anxieties regarding moving my family to the United States. Where would we go, what would I do? I spoke on and on about all the things I wanted to achieve, my dreams, the kind of work I wanted to find, etc. In essence, I was painting the big picture of my life. "Small strokes", she said to me. "You're concentrating on the big grand strokes. Start looking at the details of how you envision your life. When you wake up in the morning, what do you see? What do you do? What is your environment like? Where do go? Fine-tune the details of how you want your everyday life to look like. That will help you with the answers you're looking for." BAM! Or, "A-ha!", as Oprah would say.

See, that's the thing with life-changing plans. They are so darn BIG! It's no wonder so many people are frightened and paralyzed by them. I mean, who wants to Spring clean their house in one day? Falling in to a Pinterest stupor seems like a much better alternative. Sometimes we need to take it one step at a time. Take that one little step that will lead to the next, and the next, and the next. Forget about what may or may not happen. Just start. Start by making a list! Lists are awesome. They have a purpose and make you feel productive, but don't require any real action the moment you're writing them. All you have to do is put pen to paper. Easy. So, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to make a list with the basics. Not with the big to-do's, but the small ones. The ones that can change my life for the better right NOW. What are the things that I need to take care of in the present so I can accomplish all I want in the future? Coming soon...

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7275703/?claim=757ptshw7dw">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment